Here is a question I recently received from FOODPICKER.org
I have diabetes and this time of year is the toughest for me. It seems holiday treats/sweets are everywhere tempting me! Is it ok to indulge a little? If not, how can I build up enough will power to avoid holiday sweets?
Answer: The motto I like to follow is everything is OK in moderation. With that being said, treating yourself to a sweet once in a while is okay, you just need to plan ahead. Here are a few suggestions:
- Watch your portion size – typically, 3 pieces of hard candy, 1 3inch cookie, or a 1inch square cake is generally 1 carbohydrate choice
- Plan ahead – if you are attending a gathering where you may be tempted, either eat a balanced meal ahead of time or bring a snack along
- Save sweets for special occasions like holidays, birthdays, etc
- Keep treats/sweets out of your house. Avoid this aisle at the grocery store when shopping.
- Remain hydrated. Our bodies cant always tell the difference between hunger and thirst.
- Continue to exercise. Not only is this a healthy practice but will also help lower your blood sugars and balance out some treats